Thursday, November 29, 2012

LASAGNA GARDEN - part 3

Here is the area in front that I also am turning into a lasagna garden, like the south facing garden
Also quite big.

When I needed organic matter for this garden I went to Starbucks for coffee grounds.  Their normal summer program was over but the managers at two locations were easy going and gave me what they had in their bins as long as I did not mind that the filters were mixed in, which of course I did not.

Before, with grass.


After, (with grass clippings).

The amount of grass clippings you see on the far right is from my father`s 75` x 120` lot which I think helps to put into perspective just how much plant matter I needed.


To finish it off I spread a soil & compost mix on top and then the snow came, so hopefully it is all brewing as I type.

Not that I do not like winter. I do.  
But I am excited for spring already so I can see the results of this grand experiment.


***

8 comments:

  1. Hi :-)

    Nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping by at my blog and leaving a comment!

    I like this idea of using the coffee grounds from Starbucks to improve the tilth of your soil. It keeps a lot of great material out of the landfill and puts it to work.

    I'll have to try this myself. We have very heavy clay soil that can use all the organic matter I can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some clay here too. it will be interesting for me to see the difference between the gardens I already had and the ones I've created.

      Delete
  2. It will be great to see what's developed under the snow cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to have some above 0 temperatures this weekend, great to ensure that moisture is getting down in there under the insulating blanket of snow.

      Delete
  3. I love how you are doing this the earth-friendly way. Are you a composter as well? I adore making and using my homemade compost. It's fun (yeah, an odd word for this experience) to see the old plant materials turn first into a wet, sticky, muddy substance, and then into fine earthy compost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet I am a composter. I've got 2 bins on the go, one almost full and won't be shrinking down much in the winter. Hopefully I don't run out of room!

      Delete
  4. I think it is a great thing...and will look wonderful when you are finished! thanks so much for linking in this week. I hope to see you again and again. I have shared your post on the tootsie time facebook page

    ReplyDelete