Thursday, November 15, 2012

I BEAT THE SNOW - barely

In my last post I was in the middle of moving around 9 yards of soil and compost that had arrived on Thursday morning, with 30 centimeters of snow forecast for Friday night.

Talk about a deadline.


I worked from after work until 11:00 Thursday and again until 12:00 on Friday.  It gets dark here early now, so most of this was in the dark, and in fact the first night I wasn't sure which was soil and which was compost and ended up spreading soil where I wanted compost!  It won't be the end of the world, but once I tried the pile of compost I learned that there is an easy way to tell.
Smell.
The compost does not stink, but it does smell like, well, like it is composting.  
Oh yes it was also much heavier than the 4-way mix soil and it steamed when I dug down into its guts.  So next time there will be no mistaking it.




And this is what we had on the ground by the end of the weekend -- 30 centimeters as promised!

And it will stay now until spring, so it was definitely worth the overtime so my neighbours don't have to stare at a big pile of frozen compost on my lawn all winter.

***

Sharing with Garden Bloggers Bloom Day and Garden Tuesday, Outdoor Wednesday.  There may not be blooms but there is still gardening!



8 comments:

  1. Nice blooms. I smiled at the thought of your compost busily composting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so, especially in the new lasagna garden beds I made too!

      Delete
  2. Wow, look at that snow! Will it melt before the next round of snow? We haven't had any yet, but we have had it as early as October in the past. Our early snows melt before the next ones. It will be exciting to get back into that compost and soil when spring gets here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike in Nebraska I think this snow is here to stay. I don't mind it, in fact it is beautiful, though I have to admit, only having in moved into the house a month ago I could have used a bit more time to get caught up. There is always next year.

      Delete
  3. You got that down just in time. That must be a relief. There is nothing like 30 cm of snow to put an end to your gardening year. We have the same amount, and so I no longer debate about whether I should plant more bulbs. Instead I'm dreaming about how the bulbs I did plant will look in spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see how all of the bulbs will do in the spring either! I can't imagine not having spring bulbs to look forward to.

      Delete
  4. I'm still mounding with compost here in Ontario. Wondering what kind of winter it will be here this year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, take advantage of the warm weather while you can.

      Delete