Sunday, December 01, 2013

ANATOMY OF MONET GARDEN - 3 of 3

In my first post about the Monet Garden I detailed the plants I initially added this past spring.
Now I am writing about the plants yet to join in and enhance the purple-and-blue theme that defines the Monet Garden.

By-and-large last spring I planted the lasagna gardens I built and left the pre-existing beds alone.  Therefore  next year's additions are primarily in areas that existed before we moved in. I spent time observing and now I am ready to plant.

I learned that this garden does not get as much sun as I had hoped but I still think that these plants will work given the back left corner is the sunniest part.
The green rectangle will be filled with Delphinium, 5 blue in as many shades as possible and 2 purple, also different shades.

The pink triangle was originally Blazing Star and its replacement is still up for debate|:  
More Dutch Iris (I'll know this spring if they work).
Monkshood is high on my list but also highly poisonous and I have a new puppy dog; better safe than sorry. Salvia would be quite nice: long blooming, mid-sized and purple. I just need to find a variety for the shadier side.

In the green oval Ostrich ferns will encircle the bottom of the Lilac run behind it providing a backdrop for Astilbe and a tall compliment to the Heliopolis that will border it in the Sun Garden.

The orange blob will be fluffy purple Astilbe. I have never grown them successfully but I have not yet tried since reading up on their care - and that of course should make all of the difference. 

The yellow splotches will be Primula, hopefully I will come across some drumstick varieties in a mix of purples.


Some suggestions from Facebook I am will one day incorporate include Forget-Me-Nots (which I tried unsuccessfully from seed last year but am not giving up on), Phlox stolonifera (Creeping phlox), Jacob's LadderGiant Lobelia.



When you put it all together this is what it looks like. 
At least for now.

Suggestions for other purple and blue plants for zone 3, part shade are welcome.

Parts 1 of 3 & 2 of 3
***

3 comments:

  1. Hi Derek,
    Interesting garden planning! I never seen anyone do this so far!
    If you don't mind, I will make ome suggestions: Delphinium is not an easy to grow plant. If you are experienced with it, go ahead, but if you aren't I am telling you that it is a difficult one and expensive one to kill. The plant requires organic rich humus like soil and continuous moisture with great drainage. The plants require stalking as sson as the blooms start and aphids, slugs and crown root are not-stop issues that may require chemical treatment to save the plants. Since your Monet garden appears to be under a large evergreen, you risk at placing your precious Delphiniums in an area where tree roots will always win the competition for moisture and your plants may not make it to second year. If you can start your plants inexpensively from seed, take a shot at it but Delphinium is difficult!
    For more ideas on Blue plants for part shade in zone 5 (or even 3 in some cases) visit my post here: http://gardenerswithkids.blogspot.com/2013/11/blue-in-our-garden.html
    Soon there will be a post on Purple blooming plants that I grow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniela,
      Thanks for taking the time to give me some well thought out advice. I have grown Delphs just once before, and it was successful. But it was probably a decade ago and perhaps I lucked out. Last year I planted a single Delph so we will see how that one does before I buy a bunch more. I am also planning on ordering seeds - I heard ordering Giant Delphs from New Zealand was the ticket (https://www.delphinium.co.nz) but even starting with 100 seeds including shipping is a $40 experiment, so wish me luck!

      I'll check out your article on other blue suggestions this weekend and look forward to the purple follow up.

      Delete
    2. I have changed my mind and won't be adding in Delphinium. I'll have to post about the changes soon, but thought you would want to know. You are not the only person to have similar advice so I researched some alternatives.

      Delete