Tuesday, August 21, 2012

WILT - People Can't Read Your Minds


I am defeated, and know it, if I meet any human being from whom I find myself unable to learn anything. 
~George Herbert Palmer

***

Last fall I planted Purple and White Gayfeather (Blazing Star) at the top of the road on the north side, at the slice where our driveway and road meet. Since there is a already a garden of orange daylilies the other side I wanted to balance it (asymmetrically, of course)
Gayfeathers on the North side of the drive balance the weight of these daylilies on the South side.

The problem was, I did not tell my brother in-law and guess what he did?  He was helpful.  He cut down the grasses and weeds up near the driveway.  It is a mystery to me how (since our weed-whacker is electric and the cords do not reach that far), but that is exactly what brothers-in-law are for.
Of course tiny Blazing Stars growing at the side of the driveway rather than in a garden bed look like weeds and down they came.

I know I am not the first gardener to plant something and assume that it will be obvious to everyone else.  I have to admit to a slight annoyance when I saw that they had been clipped, but it quickly passed as I realized where responsibility lay.

In the end, with everything else blooming so early this year, it may end up for the better if it simply delays their blooming period.

Next time I'll remember that people can't read my mind, I swear.

***

Sharing with:
     


What I Learned Today (WILT) is a recurring series of posts about those thing I tend to learn over and over, and seem destined to keep repeating.  They tend to be the basics.  The simple things that are not so simple.
Making a record of the error of my ways is designed to help me to kick the habit.
Time will tell.

  

4 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I am guilty of pulling up plants that I thought were weeds and they weren't. Now I am very careful to plant only those whose leaves I can easily recognize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either that or blog about where you plant things so that you have a way of checking later!

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear that they got clipped. Hope they pop back again next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, hopefully I will get a chance to see them next summer.

      Delete

Posts from the Past