Wednesday, August 15, 2012

LAST FLOWERS - German Iris

In a previous post I celebrated the 'first flowers' to make their appearance.  Brave souls eager to have their day.  But I also appreciate 'last flowers', those that wait until you think they are done blooming and then surprise us with a last blast of colour.

This Iris (Versicolor or Virginica?) is one such flower.
This picture was taken on June 29 and about a week after I thought I had seen the last of the Iris.  Remember, everything was blooming early this year.
Whether it will bloom again next year at the same time as the Blanket Flower in the background remains to be seen.

Typically a single Iris among all of the other plants on the Lakefront Garden wouldn't be enough to really catch one's eye, especially when its blooms are so outnumbered by the Sundrops and Daisies.  But when said plant is unexpectedly blooming a single flower can really pop. 

"Good for you!" I say to the plant that goes out with a bang.


I am sharing with: 
     

14 comments:

  1. Wow still having an iris bloom is magical...love your celebration of the last bloom...I think I unofficially do this more in passing and especially in fall. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, the pic was taken June 29, I just had never gotten around to posting it untill now.

      Delete
  2. My irises were blooming about that time too and now are gone, but not forgotten. It is nice to know you will see them again. Thank you for linking into Nature Notes Derek..I hope things are going well your way..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      I'm not sure when I will see those Iris again. I'll likely just be back at the cottage in the heat of summer. I will just have to plant some new ones here!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful iris, all your flowers are pretty. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Eileen, glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  4. That is a lovely little surprise! My first Iris to bloom, way back in late February, shot out a bloom a few weeks ago. It had never done that before! What a little treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is a late bloomer, it must have been a very nice surprise indeed.

      Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  5. I was thinking the same thing...it's amazing to have an Iris bloom at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the Iris bloomed at the end of June, still later than all of the rest but not as late as when I posted it.

      Delete
  6. It just wasn't finished for the season~~~!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some blue flag iris but they have never bloomed for some reason. Just planted some wall iris (Iris tectorum) this fall and hoping they will do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason the Tectorum look great with their broader petals, good luck with it. Sometimes I think the Versicolor is almost too simple, but then it makes up for it with the volume of blooms where I've got it growing.

      Delete

Posts from the Past