Thursday, January 23, 2014

YARD ART - introducing our fountain

From the time we moved in to our new home over a year and a half ago I had been thinking about a fountain and researching through numerous Pinterest posts the idea of building my own fountain.

Then I mentioned it to my husband who immediately fell in love with the idea and two weeks later we had a fountain. I like to gather lots of information before making a decision and he prefers to just get things done. This balance is one of the ways we complement each other, and let me tell you, I am very glad we have our fountain already rather than waiting to build one.  
(I can always build another later!)

Next year I will add plants around its base to give it a rounded appearance and to hide the square concrete base.
Suggestions for low-growing, zone 3, part-sun, deer & rabbit resistant, long-blooming, white perennials welcomed.


It was early September so we were eager to get it out for the limited frost-free nights ahead. We drove it in the back of our SUV onto the lawn after dark, placing it off-centre and closer to the rounded edges of the Moon Garden and our bench, rather than in the centre of the lawn. 

Our fabulous neighbour stopped by to toast our new addition. 
We love any reason to use the bench in the front and this new addition is a great one. Not only does it look great but it has a great sound: as the chamber in the base empties the sound of running water becomes higher pitched and more audible, a kind of musical 'tinkling' sound. 

I like asymmetry so this modern style was just up my alley, and it is plug & play: run an extension cord and fill the basin and you are good to go. 

As you can see it also adds winter interest which is a nice bonus.

***
Sharing with Fertilizer Friday

8 comments:

  1. I recommend a nice Brunnera variety surrounding your beautiful new fountain. All are hardy for zone 3 and the foliage will look good all year. Brunnera macrophylla 'Hadspen Cream' or Jack Frost. Another idea is Iberis or Rockcress but it only blooms in the spring for a couple of weeks with the bulbs. Or a circle of Heucherella Alba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brunnera - good idea. I had always thought they would get lost in a bigger garden, but creating a space for them here to stand out just might work!
      Iberis I tried in the Moon Garden and the rabbits gobbled it up so I am shy about this one.
      Rockcress I had to Google, but it looks good, at least along the south facing side I may give them a try.

      Thanks for the input

      Delete
  2. Very nice~I have one in my front yard but it is more of a traditional look. I have never seen one like yours. Very unique and nice looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Carol. I am a nut for asymmetry so this one really grabbed my attention. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. You fountain is beautiful, particularly with snow heaped on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment. I am glad you like the fountain too!

      Delete
  4. Hi Derek-

    I found your blog this morning through Fertilizer Friday.
    I love all fountains and yours is wonderful.

    Enjoyed visiting, and I am a new follower.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,
      Glad that you love the fountain and thrilled to have you join as a follower. Welcome aboard.

      Delete