Sunday, March 24, 2013

THE SEED REVOLUTION

My switch this year from working strictly with plants to starting from seed is nothing short of revolutionary for me. A lot to learn and I am very excited to tackle it. 
I just could not afford to add the number of plants and have the impact I want in the first year any other way.
So today I picked up three seed starting kits, some mix, a soil testing kit and some seeds which I will walk you though later, outline where I see them all going and decide which I will start indoors and which I will direct sow.

For now this post is just to celebrate the milestone of getting one step closer to my experiment with growing from seed.  

Let the adventure begin!

6 comments:

  1. Here from fertilizer Friday. I think growing from seed adds greatly to your gardening skills, and growing plants from the seeds you saved the year before is an art in itself. I'm lucky that I can just plant the seeds in the planters or gardens, and the warm weather is long enough for nature to take care of it all, since I have indoor cats that love to munch newly sprouted greens. Love to see what you manage to create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also going to try direct sowing a lot since this sounds like a lot of work, but admittedly it is fun to have to learn so much about something new.

      Delete
  2. I do it all from seed...and it feels like a huge accomplishment to know you grew that entire garden from a little seed..you will do great...it's easy peasy!!!
    Thanks for linking in this week...I hope to see you again soon!
    I am sharing this post on Tootsie Time facebook page!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the confidence boost Tootsie, I hope I don't let the seeds dry out, or get too moist, or don't harden them correctly, or, or, or...LOL

      Delete
  3. I have grown about 80 varieties of mostly perennials from seed this year for my nursery. Some spotty germination on a few. Bottom heat is good and I didn't have it for most of them. Growing from seed is such a miracle - first you are holding a speck and then it becomes a big beautiful plants. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder that there will be more to starting plants from seed than the financial rewards.

      Delete