Monday, September 10, 2012

I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF

As a born and bred Winnipegger I have to admit that I love a deal.

So when Groupon offered 50% off on up to $180 worth of plants at Sage Herb Gardens I had to get some. I even got my parents to buy some.
So what's the big deal?  You might be wondering why I should have tried to stop myself in the first place, after all, I am moving into a big new yard.

The trouble is a) I'm not moving until mid October and b) I subscribe to the idea of holding back from buying plants in the first year in order to really get to know your garden first - at least I try to. 

On the first point, I'll plant them (in their pots) in my parents garden and overwinter them there, then move them again in the spring.

And the second point?  About holding off when moving in? 
I can't help myself.  Life is too short not to take chances.

At least I won't be planting anything in the gardens that already exist.
(OK, so I already wrote about the bulbs that I bought as well, but bulbs don't count for that rule, do they?)

So I am going to plants all of these plants in a NEW garden.  I can see that the space outside of the living room bay window faces south.  I am going to bet that it is sunny, (though I have to admit there are major blue spruce and a house in that direction as well....) and I can't wait to find out for sure.  
I am willing to take the chance that they may not get as much sun as they need, but I've got a feeling from what I have seen this fall that it will be fine.

Not only have I decided that I will make the space a garden, but that I want my first sunny city garden to be made up of hot sunny colours. A celebration of yellows, bright oranges and reds and plenty of mixes in between.

So what did I buy?

Gaillardia "Arizon Sun" x 3 @ $10 
This bi-colour will look great at the front of the border.


And so will this one.  
Shall I intermix the Blanket Flower or keep them separate?

I didn't think these were good for zone 3 - though always wanted to try them.

I love these - I've been looking for non-standard coneflower for quite a while, but always found them monstrously expensive.
Echinacea "Secret Desire" x2 @ $15
Quite different in both form and colour than standard Purple Coneflower.

Rudbeckia laciniata "Goldquelle" x 3 @ $10
I always thought of Black-eyed-Susans when I thought Rudbeckia - who knew that there were ones that looked a bit like Marigolds?

I am quite pleased with my selections, especially since so many of them are a different from average varieties.
I can see them mixed with grasses, daisies, Black-eyed Susans, False Sunflower in an homage to the prairie of sorts.

Let me know what you think.


Sharing with:
     




2 comments:

  1. I could NEVER wait a year after moving into a new place before putting in plants. When we moved into our current house I put in a raised bed the first week after we moved in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I am not alone Jason, it is too much to ask! LOL

    ReplyDelete