Tuesday, December 31, 2013

HOLIDAY URN - bring back the apples!

This spring I transformed my front door planter into a woodland scene by transplanting a small spruce, some moss, lily-of-the-valley, and even a large stone from the woods around the Manitoba cottage (then added Violets for colour).  
The intent is for it to be a fairly permanent arrangement.

 When it came time to turn it into a holiday arrangement I waffled about what to do until the soil froze, thus making the decision for me that I would not incorporate the 'apples-on-a-stick' that looked so great last year.

Instead I added some over-sized red ornaments and birch sticks to the existing woodland scene. 
   
 It certainly looked wintry enough when it was covered with snow.



However with the ornaments in the background rather than the foreground and the container frozen into place and no way to turn it around...let us just agree does not compare to last year.


Meet me back here same time next year to see how I will have incorporated the apples once again into my little woodland scene.

Happy New Year!

***
Sharing with Outdoor Wednesday

4 comments:

  1. Great containers! I like them both, but the one with the stick apples is really striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great ideas! We like the apples! Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bettyl! I like them apples too! Next year I'll definitely break them out again.

      Delete