Tuesday, September 23, 2014

NOW THAT THE CAMEL'S BACK IS BROKEN

In my last post I discussed how I have moved away from my strictly colour-coded gardens to what I feel will be a more thoughtful design, one that allows contrasting colours to play against one another in the same bed and considers form as much as colour.

 A great example of how far I am allowing things to change is the incorporation of pink back into my gardens.  

Regular visitors will know that I have avoided pink flowers, and even avoided colour blends for fear they would contain too much pink.  I have even gone so far as to transplant pink flowers from my garden into my parents' garden and the guerrilla garden we started at my work.

Some pinks however will get a pass. The "salmon" hyacinths will be able to stay and so will the "peach" Foxglove now blooming in my Monet Garden.

 I have been trying for a couple of years to grow Foxgloves and now that it appears I have finally found a suitable habitat for them I am not about to be turned off by something as simple as their colour, besides "peach" is not just a euphemism, they are more pale than a dreaded 'hot pink' and fit nicely within my so-called "Monet" colour palette.

Welcome back peach, salmon, cerise and amaranth.  Shocking pink, rose, fuschia and magenta - you are still out of luck.


2 comments:

  1. haha, i love how you discriminate based on colors! Just like me here in the tropics, i sometimes get so bored with orange and reds because those are the colors we mostly see here. How i wish there will be deep violets and blues, but true to their habitats, they are called cool colors, so cannot maybe grow well in hot climates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in. Very true what you say - my Sun Garden is mostly bright colours and my shadier garden has many more blues and purples. How appropriate!

      Delete